There are different styles of bio but it’s best to stick to some general rules for crafting your Twitter bio. (At least until you become a household name, and then you can do whatever you want.)
Guidelines for Twitter Bios
- Use keywords that are descriptive of your work (realtor, chef, or copywriter)
- Modify these terms with specific words that help set you apart (realtor in Topeka, Asian-fusion chef or email copywriter)
- Add something personal about yourself if you occasionally tweet about it (tennis, mom, eats out a lot)
- Even in 160 characters, your bio can have a “voice.” If it does, make sure it’s in keeping with your brand voice. The tone can be humorous, friendly, coy or sophisticated, as long as it is in keeping with the image you want to present
- Make use of the link that can be added to your bio (this will usually be your website), but you may also add a link in your Twitter bio if you have more than one site you want people to look at to learn about you. Don’t use a shortened URL if you can avoid it, because those links are also powerful branding for you (especially assuming they’re your blog or company website)
For more inspiration, check out these lists of Twitter bios that others have compiled.
- 20 of the world’s most clever Twitter bios – from Mark Schaefer
- 5 Twitter Bio Examples That Will Rock Your Socks – from Marian Schembari
- Twitter List of Effective Twitter Bios – a Twitter list comprised of people with effective Twitter bios, curated by Sree Sreenivasan
- And don’t use these: 20 Twitter Bios That Suck – from Devon Zdatny
Remember that your bio is your way of saying hello to potential followers. You don’t want to be too salesy when you first say hello. Think about who you want to appeal to and what might interest those people. Take your time crafting your Twitter bio and modify it as you learn and grow.
Portions of this post originally appeared at the Social Media School blog.
Image source: flickr (Asiatic League)
Latest posts by Stephanie Schwab (see all)
- Why The Best Agency For You Might Not Be A Social Media Agency - April 20, 2017
- How to Tweet Like a Pro - June 23, 2016
- Why Is Twitter So Darn Difficult for People? - May 11, 2016
- Finding Your Brand Voice - July 27, 2015
- Social Media Advertising: Facebook, Twitter & LinkedIn, Oh My! - April 15, 2015